Stevens English Training, the language school with a difference, is a name well known in local business circles. Thanks to the high quality of our general, business and technical English courses, we have gone from strength to strength since our establishment in 1986. Around the turn of the century, we realized that it was time to take a step further by adding German courses to our range of services.
German language courses at an English language institute?
With borders continuously opening to free trade, markets growing together and the increasing mobility of the world’s workforce, it is evident that more and more executives and professionals from abroad are coming to Germany to work and live. Very often they will be bringing their families with them.
As expatriates they will usually speak English, either as their mother tongue or as a second language. Rather than conducting the German courses in the target language alone, we make use of this common knowledge of English to speed up the learning process. All the trainers involved in the German Courses for Professionals Program are German native speakers with an excellent command of the English language. Thus, grammar rules, structures and vocabulary can be explained directly and understandably. In other words it is a question of „as much English as necessary, as much German as possible “. As the learner progresses through the levels the amount of English used is reduced step by step. For the learner this means the achievement of specified goals in the shortest time possible.
The relaxed atmosphere and our special Stevens approach complete the picture. Apart from the linguistic content our trainers also include aspects of culture and lifestyle in their courses. Such items give the learner a better orientation and reinforce self-confidence in social and business situations.
We focus on two main areas of need. Firstly, Business German for those who have to communicate with colleagues and business partners in a German speaking environment, and secondly General German for those who wish to focus on the language they need for everyday situations.
No matter whether the learner is a complete beginner wishing to establish a first „beachhead“in the language or an advanced speaker just giving their German a final polish we can guarantee the highest quality of language training. The practical nature of the course assures that what is learnt in the classroom today can be used in the real world tomorrow.
Our Business German Courses
Here are some examples of targets and topics for a course at CEF level B2:
- Improved negotiation skills in German
- Active and effective participation in meetings and the chairing of discussions
- Powerful and persuasive presentations
- Efficient communication on the phone, by letter, email or via social media
- Self confidence in social situations (small talk)
- Improved correctness and accuracy when talking
- Awareness of political, economic, cultural and social matters from the German speaking World (to be able to „understand“how German business partners think and act).
Our General German Courses:
The General German courses are designed for partners and family members of expatriates, who do not need to use German in a work-related context but who will need to use the language in everyday situations.
Here is an example based on CEF level A1/A2.
- Introducing yourself and getting to know people.
- Describing the daily routine
- Describing an apartment, a house and facilities
- Shopping: Vocabulary for food and other goods
- Simple conversations
- Giving directions
- Time and date
- Talking about yourself and your life
- Conversations about leisure time and hobbies
- Doctor’s visits: Vocabulary, questions and answers
- At the hotel
- In the restaurant
- Driving: Understanding street signs, refuelling, traffic rules
- Invitations: Birthdays, Christmas, weddings and other festivities
Stevens English Training also offers the following Services:
Translation from English to German and German to English
Do you need more information? Arrange a telephone or online consultation appointment today: 02 01 – 87 70 77-0
Course details at a glance
|Group size:||1 - 4 participants|
|Intensity:||1 or 2 sessions per week of 90 minutes each on fixed days and times or by arrangement|
|Duration:||80 hours per level (recommended), in 2 blocks of 40 hours each|
|Times:||Any time between 07.30 and 21.00 h|
|Location:||As in-house training on site|